Wednesday, May 03, 2006

earthquakes and tsunami's

So I was startled out of a deep sleep at 4:30 this morning by a magnitude 7.9 earthquake epicentered 20 miles below the sea surface near Tonga.

Sucker lasted a good 20 seconds and I rode it out laying in bed. I somehow managed to fall back asleep after that until my alarm went off around 5:45am. Lately I've been waking up early and going to the gym before work. Just works better for me and is a great way to start the day...getting pumped up for the wedding ya know. So anyway, I'm listening to the music on the radio (one of the 12 songs they play, usually Kelly Clarkson or Nickelback, which is usually enough to get me outta bed). The only DJs that actually live here on the island on the particular station my alarm is set for, start at 6am...the Samoan Sunrise show. Until then its a recorded, or internet-fed DJ from somewhere in Texas I think. 6am rolls around (yes I'm still laying in bed) and the local, live DJs come on the air and interrupt a song for **BREAKING NEWS**. A report is then given on the earthquake that I felt earlier and that there is a tsunami warning in effect. They also report that if there were an actual tsunami generated, it would have hit the island around 5:20am based on the quake magnitude and distance they can determine that sort of stuff apparently. It was now 6:10am. My sleep would have been even more rudely interrupted had a tsunami torn through my bedroom at 5:20am. Thankfully it didn't and I haven't heard any reports of damage or fatalities anywhere in the pacific which is good. The warning system was pretty good, but could obviously be improved by having some live bodies to report local emergencies...not that I would have been awake to hear them, but anyway. Some friends called me from there car on the way up the mountain to safer ground around 6:25 and I had to inform them that the tsunami warning had been cancelled...they dissappointedly replied "so we have to go to work now?" The warning was cancelled literally 30 seconds after the Department of Education had announced that all public schools were closed. I'm sure there were some students absent today. I proceeded to work.

Planning a big Cinco de Mayo event for Friday. 9 holes of golf, then margarita's and mexican food. Can't wait. Amazingly, Samoa is actually not known for its mexican food, having said that, maybe I shouldn't be too excited about our Cinco de Mayo fiesta! One thing I've learned about this place is to never expect much, you have to lower expectations, that way you're less likely to be constantly dissappointed, and if something actually goes as planned, you are pleasantly surprised. Speaking of food, my gracious neighbors from India brought me some homemade indian food for dinner, which was awesome!! Even included some homemade, roti bread with a little island flair. Much appreciated...I saved some for lunch tomorrow.

1 Comments:

At 05:39, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please, if you have the time, keep blogging.

I MISS the South Pacific ! ! !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home